Monday, April 20, 2009

Birthdays*

Birthdays change as people get older. When they are in middle school or younger, birthdays are great; kids order pizza with their friends, go bowling or skating, have slumber parties, play games, etc. When they get into high school, they want to have dances, go to movies, dress up, and still have slumber parties. When people get to college, most want to dress up, go out, drink, take tons of pictures. Once the 21st birthday is over, it is all “downhill.

I always find it funny when younger kids or students come into Olive Garden and make sure to ask for the birthday song. They usually don’t get the cake because they don’t want to spend more money, but they always want the birthday song. I love singing it and am known by many of my co-workers to get pretty into it.

When adults come in to eat, someone besides the one with the birthday leaves the table or waits for the birthday man/woman to leave the table and then tells the server they would like the song. When it is time to come and sing the song, the one who it’s being sung to usually turns bright red and gets mad or embarrassed.

We have a “Buena Festa” cake that is $6.95 and feeds about four to six people. We usually decorate the cake and put a candle in the middle and gather as many servers as we can to sing. Once we reach the table we say,

“Attention Olive Garden, we have a very special birthday today. It is ______’s birthday and we are going to show them how we celebrate Olive Garden style! Ready? Buena festa! What a joyous day (hey!). Life's good; fortune is sure to come your way. Come on, sit back, and just relax! We'll fill your plate the Italian way (Wooo!). We're so glad you came to celebrate with us today (Hey)! Happy Birthday!

2 comments:

  1. I love it when I go to places and u get a treat at the end!!! singing and cake! Double awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY Husband works at Olive Garden and has for a year now. We hear of all the people that receive help through Darden Dimes and other agencies and even though my husband donates to Darden Dimes we are unable to receive assistance. We have my husband, myself-his wife and I am on disability and my 14 yr old son.We also have taken in 2 boys whom we just paid to get legal custody because the parents are on drugs and in and out of jail. My husband asked for assistance becausse we received a three day notice. Which we have never had trouble paying the rent. It's not season and his hours were close to nothing. His name is Jesse Graham. I'm Allison. He works at olive garden 1051 in fort myers, fl. If anyone knows how we can recieve a one time assistance so we do not become homeless and the boys don't have to go to foster care it would be greatly appreciated. My number is 2393213084 email is allyjesse@comcast.net. Please anything at all is greatly appreciated. My husband gives to this Darden Dimes organization weekly and we still are unable to recieve help. my 19 yr old daughter just moved back with us with her 2 month old baby who has bronchillities. I've never been in such a horrible frightening situation./ Thank you so much for reading.

    ReplyDelete