Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Toasted Almond Challenge*

Yesterday I worked ten hours straight with no break. At Olive Garden we call this a BD (Business Decline). There are LBDs (Lunch Business Decline) and DBDs (Dinner Business Decline). When I work just a BD, I work straight through both, so when the lunch people go home, someone is there.

I haven’t worked a lunch shift in a long time, because I usually have class all week and work the weekend nights. When I came in yesterday, I was excited to make some good money, it was the weekend and that meant that all entrees would be dinner instead of lunch, unless a customer requested lunch. Apparently, this isn’t very evident to the customers because I had countless tables very upset when they were charged for dinner portions.


I had a 7 top come in (7 people), and I was excited because their bills were pretty high with appetizers, entrees, and dessert. However, when they got their bills, they complained about the prices. I apologized and said that dinner menus are given to them on the weekends. “Well, miss, how are we supposed to know these are dinner menus?”


I apologized repeatedly and told them I could have my manager come out if they wanted. They said that wouldn’t be necessary. As they paid, I brought change back, wished them a good day, and they left. When I went to the table after, I found two dollars for me on a napkin. Let me also point out their bill totaled about $170. Great start to the day!


As the day went on, I realized why I never worked lunch shifts. All everyone got was soup, salad, and breadsticks, and the two dollar tips never stop. I needed something to motivate me at this point.


My manager made two new drinks at the bar, and we got a chance to sample them. One drink was called a Toasted Almond, and I absolutely loved it. It has amaretto, ice cream, and Kahlua in it. My manager noticed how much I liked it and told me, “If you can sell three of these tonight, I’ll buy you a free dinner next time you work.” The challenge definitely motivated me, and I was on a mission.


A table of six ladies came in and looked like they were ready for a good time. Four of the ladies were debating on what drinks to get, and I knew this was my chance.


“Well, ladies, if you are looking for something sweet to drink, you have to try our new Toasted Almond,” I said and explained the drink. “You will absolutely love it, I promise you.”


The first three drinks were margaritas, and I thought my chance was gone, but then the fourth lady smiled at me and said, “I will try the one you suggested.”


YES! One down, two to go. Of course, she told me she loved it and had it down halfway through her meal.


The next one I sold was to a table of four. Two guys were celebrating their birthdays with their parents. They all got alcoholic drinks, so I did the same suggestion, and the mom ordered one. Again, she loved it.


It was getting toward the end of my shift, and my next few attempts were failures. They sat my last table and told me I was cut. This was my last shot. It was a couple already drinking wine.


“You two are going to have another drink soon, right?” I said and smiled. They nodded yes, and I suggested my drink. They looked a little unsure, so I decided to drop it for a few minutes. I took their order and got them started. When the guy had finished his wine, I said, “So are you ready to try that drink, sir?” He laughed a little and said he’d take another glass of wine. I looked at the woman’s glass and said, “Well, this means you have to. I’ve been bragging about this drink all night, and I need to prove to someone how great it is, and you two are my last table of the night… no pressure,” I said, slightly laughing.


They finished their meals, and I was boxing up their food, feeling a little down because they hadn’t mentioned another drink. I asked if they were saving room for any dessert or if they just wanted the check.


“Actually, we are going to try your drink,” she said.


YES. Three drinks sold meant a free meal. Unfortunately, she wasn’t too fond of the drink, but they were very nice about it and left a generous tip.

1 comment:

  1. I always like it when managers do games and stuff such as the one you mentioned it helps with sales and makes things more interesting! Sometmes you just need a little boost.

    ReplyDelete